Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Review: Delivery at Mt Alvernia Hospital

After our maternity tours at TMC and Mt Alvernia, and talking to friends and reading reviews online, we've decided to go ahead with Mt Alvernia for our delivery of baby C.

My experience there has been really pleasant and I'm glad I made this choice. It's indeed as good as what I've heard and read about. The uncomfortable feeling I had during the maternity tour didn't bothered me. In fact, I did not even feel anything. Maybe there's too much other excitement for me to feel anything.

I checked in at around 5am, and somehow, it's a popular day and there's no delivery suite or bed at the observation ward for me. How lucky! Waited at the sofa area outside the delivery suites till around 8+am. The contractions were still bearable so it's still okay. I can see the nurses are trying their best to get a bed for me, and can see its a very busy/peak day for them so I wasn't angry or anything. They also kept asking me if I need milo and biscuits and if I'm ok.

At about 8+am, the brought me to one of the doctor's resting room to hook me up to the CTG machine to monitor me, as well as to give me the med to clear my bowels. Someone poped and they shifted me to the delivery suite soon after where the fun begins. Will leave my birth story to another post.

The Delivery Suite


I chose to stay in a 4 bedded ward since it's only for 2 nights, and I reckon the husband can rest better in the comfort at home. Was initially told that 4-bedded wards are not available, but dunno why I was still given a bed in a 4 bedded (which is good la!) I heard from another patient 4 bedded ward is more spacious than a 2 bedded.

I'm staying in St. Elizabeth Ward. I've heard horror stories about sub-standard service for 4-bedded at other hospitals, but I'm pleased to say the service at the 4 bedded ward here in Mt Alvernia is very prompt and the nurses are very helpful and attentive. If the level of service I'm enjoying is the lowest level, then I can't imagine how good the service are in those atas suites. One thing that really stood out during my stay there is how dedicated and committed the nurses are in their job. You can feel that they really love what they are doing and it's not just a job to them. I can feel their passion for their job. Almost all the nurses I got in contact with are wonderful. They are also very knowlegable and helpful so don't be shy to ask them all kinds of questions you have about your baby (or yourself), and even questions about breastfeeding! I personally find them more helpful than the lactation consultant since the lactation consultat is only there for a brief 15mins or so, but the nurses are always there. Ask them , get them to help you, guide you. They are all very patient and helpful.

The food from the confinement menu are pretty delicious. I wasn't expecting much from hospital food, but surprisingly, they are really good!

This is pork ribs and mushroom for dinner. Not sure if it's cos I'm starving since my last meal was breakfast (they refused to let me eat when I was starving and in labor. =/ ) but I remembered clearly this is so delicious! Each meal consist of a main course (meat), soup, veggies, fruits and a bottled fruit juice (which I gave the husband since my mum says I can only drink red dates longan water).



Mee Sua soup for breakfast the next morning with milo and a bottled fruit juice

Lunch. Braised Lion Head. This is very very good! Who says confinement food is boring?


Tea Break. Some pie and red dates longan tea.


Dinner. Ginger Spring Onion Pork

My experience at Mt Alvernia has been really pleasant and I'll definitely choose it again for my next delivery. The rooms and service are great, and coming from a fussy person like me, it really means something! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment